27 February, 2016

Embarrassed yet?

I have mostly kept away from the US presidential campaign thus far, mostly because I do not have time to wash all the stupid off afterwards. I will take this opportunity to observe that the so-called front-runner Donald Trump has polled roughly one third of the vote in most primaries so far. Notwithstanding Nevada, where Trump's 45% could almost be considered convincing, at least two thirds of Republican voters in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina voted for someone else.

Are you starting to see why simple majority winner-takes-all voting systems are bullshit?

I couldn't let this clip pass without comment though:

No. No no no. I don't repeat myself. I do not repeat myself.

If you heard a pair of 12-year-olds talking like this, you'd bang their heads together and tell them it's time they grew up. Whoever would have thought we would miss the calm, sober reflection of George W Bush?

However, it does tell us that if nothing else, Rubio can learn from a mistake. It also tells us Trump can't think on his feet, constantly resorting to don't-you-know-who-I-am finger waving and talking over everyone. He doesn't understand that when running for office, he can't just order people around like he's used to. And if this century's political history has taught us anything (and it probably hasn't), it's that he won't be able to get his own way as president either.

So it's down to Rubio, a 69-year-old man who hasn't matured since the age of 16 and a guy who thinks it's big and clever to cook bacon by wrapping it around the barrel of a machine gun.

If I were a Republican, I'd be pretty embarrassed right now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment