22 February, 2015

Who loves ya, Rudy?

It seems it was Rudy Giuliani’s turn to be the comically failed candidate embarrassing the Republican party this week.

In case you haven’t heard, here’s what he said at a private event for Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker:
I do not believe, and I know this is a horrible thing to say, but I do not believe that the president loves America. He doesn’t love you. And he doesn’t love me. He wasn’t brought up the way you were brought up and I was brought up through love of this country.” 

Predictably enough, teh left responded with outrage and the hashtag #ObamaLovesAmerica, which completely missed the more important points.

Notwithstanding the McCarthyist tones of a “love test” for office; even notwithstanding the dog-whistle racism of “He wasn’t brought up the way you were brought up and I was brought up,” (and if you’re going to go down that path Rudy, I want to know exactly what you mean by the way you were brought up, because being a Catholic born in Brooklyn with an Italian name, it might mean something different if you know what I mean…)

No, what this really means is that the Republicans officially have nothing. They are not even pretending to have anything to say about policy. All they have left is to go personal and go the full stupid.

Rather than listing all the reasons he does too love America, what Obama supporters should be saying is: Is that all you’ve got?? Have you no policies? Have you nothing to offer beyond fetishising patriotism?

Unable or unwilling to argue policy and alternatives, Republicans are reduced to sneaking around like an ex-boyfriend saying, “Aw c’mon baby, I know me and my friends wrecked your house and spent all your money and took you for granted and humiliated you. And I know that new guy is trying to look after you and he talks to you like an adult and everything, but he don’t love you like I do.”

That should say it all. No rebuttal is necessary. You can’t make them look any worse than they do themselves.

The subject of the event, Scott Walker matched the stupid by saying he’s not sure of Obama is a Christian. Scott, get thee to Wikipedia! Or better still, Article VI, Clause 3 of that constitution thing you’re always banging on about.

Any questions, Scott?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment